a + b = me

My photo
"Ability is what you're capable of. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it." -Lou Holtz (US 1937- )

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

when it rains, it pours // my year in review

...back to blogging. hello, i haven't been here since september 1st.









wow. a year ago, i was here.

1. What did you do in 2009 that you'd never done before?
moved to a new city on my own, moved 4 different times, got stranded in a random town by myself for 2 days with a busted car, faced my debt, worked at a tradeshow in vegas.

2. Did you keep your New Years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
some i did, some i didn't, and both in kind of unexpected ways... but i definitely have some new goals for the new year.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
i think it counts to say that my sister adopted 2 kids from ghana!! that addition to the family is just as good as a birth :)

4. Did anyone close to you die?
my mom's eldest sister, my da-yi-ma. it's still hard to believe she's gone. we miss her.

5. What countries did you visit?
canada... yah!

6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
more patience, better sense of self, and money.

7. What date from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
april 15. one person who has made a huge impact on my life. i know we are constantly becoming better people because of what the past has given us :]

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
facing and paying off my NZ debt, and picking up & moving to san francisco on my own. in the same year! (even though the debt came right back... circumstantial)

9. What was your biggest failure?
making rash decisions, losing my 2 cameras (who took them?!), still being far in debt.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
aside from a chronic sinusitis, i managed to sprain BOTH my ankles on halloween. one of which had been previously sprained over the summer at the beach as well.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
my canon d10 shockproof/freezeproof/underwater camera

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
+my brother going FULL-TIME with his photography business and leaving the cubicle for good!
+my sister & her husband adopting emmanuel & gloria from ghana <3 style="text-align: right;">
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
why talk about that which depresseses?

14. Where did most of your money go?
citicards - a massive car repair, rent, and survival (food)

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
three things: the new kids, moving to san francisco, and my job at apple 

16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
jaysean-down, kerihilson-knockudown, kinagrannis

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? happier/more content
ii. thinner or fatter? definitely thinner. i think i'm disappearing.
iii. richer or poorer? about the same, but i feel poorer because i'm not in denial anymore.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
saved my money while i had it. put myself first. photography.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
impulsive decisions!!

20. How did you spend Christmas?
i borrowed someone very amazing's family :] thanks edwin!

22. Did you fall in love in 2009?
you could say that

23. How many one-night stands?
none

24. What was your favorite tv program?
2009 = addictions to fringe, grey'sanatomy, house, glee!

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
hating takes too much energy! no.

26. What was the best book you read?
time traveler's wife

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
i<3youtube style="text-align: right;">

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
given myself more time. but i have no regrets

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
transition from casual/comfortable to trendy - skinny jeans, layering, scarves and heels (not all together)

34. What kept you sane?
lambo, my awesome house in sf, my down comforter, good music, and my guitar

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
i've never been one to "fancy" celebs.

36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Marriage equality.

37. Who did you miss?
hana, diem, and the kiwis

38. Who was the best new person you met?
i met so many awesome people it's hard to say. so here we go:

[nick syquia] [apple  kids] [sidneyaptekar & ken hom, vegastrip]
[my roommates + jenny!] [walter&co.] [mr.fab]


39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009?
+take responsibility for your own actions, because nobody else is going to.
+the willingness to grow creates character - "if it is to be, it is up to me".
+independence comes from being a little selfish first, i have to think about myself first before trying to be useful to others (this meant buying crap for people too... it took me till now to finally figure that out)

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
this is a message from your heart
your most devoted body part
taking blood and making art
this is a message from your heart
pounding away into the dark
you could thank me for a start
this is a message from your heart
-kg




No comments:

Post a Comment